Yesterday, I was sitting in a park and some guy came up to me and gave me $100 for doing nothing!! NOT! I'm sure if someone offered me $100 in the park, they would want something in return! ;) Anyway ....
Nearly all of the money I've acquired over life has come as a consequence of something I've done. For a large bulk, that something was working. So, to help my girls become productive members of society, rather than giving them money in the form of an "Allowance", I pay them for doing extra things. I'm not talking about doing extra chores, although that sends a good message too, I'm talking about academic pieces of work as well as some Martial Arts/Physical Fitness achievements. All of these bounties are for activities beyond their normal Academic and Martial Arts expectations, to be done in their free time.
The "Bounty List" can grow over the summer, as the girls are welcome to propose new bounties. If I like the suggestion, it gets added. Here is the Bounty List as it stands right now:
- 6 page, typed, essay highlighting a main theme that runs through the entire Harry Potter Series of books - $20
- 4 page, typed, essay highlighting a main theme that runs through the entire Star Wars Series of movies - $20
- 4 page, typed, essay highlighting the Hero's Journey
- 1 page summary of a book, with a pay out of 1 penny per page of the books length
- Long Division Problems - 1 cent per digit for each correctly done, and checked, problem (e.g. 8572234 / 324 would be a 10 cent problem)
- Algebraic Problem Solutions - 1 cent per operator, 1 cent per variable, 1 cent per term (e.g. 3x + 7x - 3 +5 = 15 - 8x would be a 13 cent problem)
- Poster Presentation - Payout is $2 per hour put into preparation of topic, with bonus possibility
- Audio Lecture Listened To - Payout is $1 per hour listening to Audio Lecture (audio book, master series, whatever) when they turn in a page of facts covering the audio lecture contents (e.g. listen to a 3 hour show on Greek history, and they turn in a Greek facts sheet covering what they heard, they would get $6)
- 5000 Front Kicks has a payout of $10 (KJ is currently averaging 100 per day, so in 50 days she will make it)
- 10 PERFECT push-ups with zero pause time has a pay out of $5
- 50 Laps Around the Block has a payout of $5 (Dy has done 4 thus far)
The bounty approach has been fantastic in previous summers, so we continue it. When Dy wants a Slurpee, she knows that all she needs to do is enough long division problems and viola! Slurpee time! Or, knock out 10 perfect push-ups (not easy given their builds, gender, and age by the way).
By way of mechanics, I don't pay them per problem as they go. It just isn't practical to give them 8 cents here and there. Rather, they get payouts in intervals of dollars.
Happy Bounty Paying!